The scariest night of the year is upon us so here’s a look at the most terrifying Halloween renovations to add value to your home. These hauntingly simple changes to your home can add values so high, it could scare even the strongest willed investor! We’ve assembled this list of Halloween renovations after exhausting research into the scariest houses all over the world. If you want to scare up some value in your home, here’s what we recommend:
- A resident ghost – A spirit feature can add 20% or more to the value of a haunted house. The final figure is determined by the era of the ghost and the quality of the haunting. Well preserved heritage elementals are highly sought after by discerning buyers, although it can be hard to organize for them to make an appearance at showings.
- A haunted attic – Every ghost needs a place to chill before terrifying a home’s inhabitants and an attic is the equivalent of an other worldly “parents retreat.” Even if you do not have a ghost, savvy sellers are styling their attics with chests of old toys, clothes, and photographs.
- A creepy basement – Premium features include steep steps that are a threat to your life, rising damp, cobwebs, and a strange dark stain on the floor.
- A hidden room – Whether it is accessed via a hardback in the bookcase or a secret panel, there is nothing that excites buyers more than a hidden room. Stylings vary from ghostly nurseries to bondage rooms – as long as it’s not on the official floor plan it it will attract premium offers.
- Garden with pet cemetery – Forget water features, outdoor kitchens, or firepits, the hottest landscaping idea right now is a spooky pet cemetery complete with adorable tiny headstones to celebrate the afterlife of faithful friends.
This article is intended as some fun in the lead up to our favorite holiday and has absolutely no bearing on a real property value estimates (although our agents would be delighted to provide you with a comparative market analysis or to help you find your next home). Enjoy your Halloween renovations and Happy Halloween!