Moving Day has arrived, are you prepared? That’s what our San Antonio moving guide is all about. If you’re like most people, you’re probably running around finishing up last minute items and still figuring out whether or not you packed your wallet into a box, because you can’t find it anywhere. A little preparation goes a long way when it comes to moving. A few simple checklists can make the difference between a calm day and you pulling your hair out in frustration. Let Kimberly Howell Properties help make your move easier and more efficient with some simple tips and an easy to follow timeline.
Two months before you move…
- Call movers and get estimates. Some months are busier than others, so it’s a good idea to start early.
- Once you’ve selected a mover, discuss costs, packing, time, and insurance.
- Make a list of your belongings. Sell or give away any items you no longer want or need.
One month before you move…
- Notify your doctor, dentist, and veterinarian of your move so that records can be transferred. Ask for referrals.
- Find out which school your children will be attending, and check with your current school administrators about transferring records.
- Close any charge accounts, such as department store accounts which you will no longer be using.
- Check into the banks in the area. Many can open new accounts by phone or online and have your checks waiting for you when you arrive.
- Send change of address cards to your post office, magazines, and friends.
- Cancel local deliveries such as newspapers, laundry, and milk.
- Contact utility companies for disconnection.
Two weeks before you move…
- Empty your safe deposit box at the bank.
- Pack valuable papers and items which you will be moving yourself. You may want to include family photos, scrapbooks and other items of sentimental value.
- Clean out your refrigerator and cabinets. Plan meals using food you don’t want to take with you when you move.
- Have your vehicles serviced for the trip.
- Hire a babysitter for the day the movers are in your home.
- Plan a furniture layout for the movers, indicating where your things belong in your new home.
- If you are traveling for more than a day, or you will be waiting for the movers to arrive, make hotel reservations.
- Pack anything the movers aren’t packing.
- Plan for a thorough cleaning of your house, carpets and draperies.
- If your house hasn’t been sold, make arrangements with your real estate agent for maintenance and security.
Final days before the move…
- Pack a “survival kit” in case you have to wait for the movers at your new home. Include paper towels and plastic eating utensils, toilet paper, soap, towels, bedding, snacks, phone chargers, eyeglasses, contact lenses, and medicines.
- Pack clothes for the trip.
- Label any boxes you’ll need to get into right away.
- Get a cashier’s check for the movers and traveler’s checks for the trip.
- Defrost your refrigerator and freezer.
- Give the movers your new telephone number or a number where they can reach you.
image courtesy of CJ Sorg