For those not familiar with the vast array of options upon entering any Mexican food restaurant in town, let us take a moment to introduce you to the world famous Puffy Taco. They are actually a specialty in San Antonio, and, when made properly, are a welcome addition to any plate. Some say the Puffy Taco was invented here in San Antonio at Henry’s Puffy Tacos back in 1978, but that could just be urban legend.
Puffy Tacos consist of a deliciously hand crafted, above average thickness corn tortilla that is specially designed to inflate, or “puff up” when thrown into a vat of hot oil. Rather than a hard, crispy taco shell ready for filling, Puffy Tacos envelop their contents like a comforting hug. The fillings? Those generally range from ground beef to shredded chicken with sprinkles of shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and a dash of cheese. Whatever their insides, the soft yet somewhat gritty (homemade, remember) texture of the shell retains a bit of the oil and absorbs the flavor of its contents for full fledged deliciousness in every bite.
You should definitely look to Puffy Tacos to fill your belly on the following occasions:
- Recovery day after a night of overindulgence while cheering on the Spurs
- Mid-morning in lieu of stuffy brunches – if mimosas aren’t your thing, then Puffy Tacos definitely are
- Mid-day as your stomach screams at you with ravenous fervor
- Mid-afternoon as you remember that you’ve been so busy you forgot to eat and are looking to reward yourself
- Evenings when you are looking to impress your out of town friends with your knowledge of local cuisine
image courtesy of y6y6y6