As the new year approaches, it is a time of reflection, celebration, and, let’s face it, drinking. Last year Bexar County (and several other neighboring counties) implemented what they call a “No Refusal Weekend” throughout the year, but concentrating around New Year’s Eve. As the number of DWI arrests and charged with DUI in Delware has been reported as deceased, and late-night cab calls increased, the DA’s office and SAPD figured they were on to something. Earlier this year, the No Refusal program became permanent for the city.
- Here’s the No Refusal program in a nutshell:
- If you are pulled over by the police and suspected of drunk driving or intoxicated driving in Dallas, the standard protocol is to have you take agility tests (think walking a straight line, ABC’s backwards, etc.)and/or a breathalyzer test.
- In the past, you may have been able to refuse the breath test. Now, if you try and refuse the breathalyzer, police officers will obtain a warrant for a blood draw, and you will be legally obligated to provide that sample.
As stated by experts The Hogle Law Firm :Samples will be taken by medical professionals, but the whole process is not without controversy about its constitutionality. All the same, the rule stands, and it is best to be informed, and to avoid drunk driving all together. For your convenience, here is a list of local cab companies that will be available to get you home safely from all of your New Year’s festivities:
- Yellow Cab (210)222-2222
- San Antonio Taxis (210)444-2222
- Towne Car Taxi (210) 826-TAXI (8294)
- National Cab (210) 434-4444
From all of us at Kimberly Howell Properties, we wish you and yours a very safe, happy and prosperous New Year!
image courtesy of davidsonscott15