Before you PCS, Get These Items in Order
If you are in a military family or a DOD employee, when you are getting ready to PCS (aka Permanent Change of Station) to a different city and even remotely think that you will be purchasing a home, there are certain documents that you should save before you start packing everything up. Knowing where these documents are and not needing to search through boxes when the moving truck arrives can save you a ton of time and stress. Time and time again, when doing loans for our veterans who have their PCS orders, as well as relocation clients, important documents needed for your home loan are packed away in storage. Not having these items handy can potentially delay the closing on your home loan.
Before you pack, please save a copy of the following documents (either on a thumb drive or in your email):
- 2 years most recent tax returns (all pages and schedules)
- Fully executed divorce decrees and child support orders. Here are more information about child neglect that is given by the well experienced lawyers in town.
- 2 years most recent W2s
- If you have rental properties, please have copies of your lease agreements
- PCS orders
- Most recent LES/paystubs
- Access to online banking (remember your passwords so that you can print bank statements)
- Most recent retirement statements
Having these items will save you time and will help alleviate frustration in the future. It will also help to ensure that your loan process will be a smooth one. And even if you’re not buying and just plan to rent, be prepared and have these documents ready too – not all of them are needed for a rental, but it’s better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.
image courtesy of samlavi